Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Philosophy…

            When thinking about teaching reading and writing my mind automatically jumps to teaching fourth and fifth grade.  I taught fourth grade for several years and fifth for one before having children. I had been out of the classroom for 5 years before going back to work in a kindergarten classroom. My feelings and my philosophy of teaching reading and writing changed significantly with this transition.

            When teaching the intermediate grades I focused on the details of more advanced writing. Much more focus on style and less (all though some) on conventions. I truthfully was not thinking about the process it took to get there. In retrospect I see what a disadvantage this was to my students. Through the reading I have done and the experience I have now, I am much more aware of the process. I would think and hope that I am a better teacher because of it. I now believe that the process begins when a child begins writing of any kind nonsensical or not. This often begins at around 18 months. I now see how the little scribbles that small children write are just that, writing. I feel that this is where the writing education begins. Before reading about this I would never have considered this as an important pre-writing activity.

            As for reading, as an intermediate teacher I focused more on comprehension and not as much on the process. I was not focused on how early on the reading process begins, how early language is connected to the process of literacy as a whole. My philosophy has changed as I have continued my learning.

            My philosophy is that literacy begins very early on, and it is our job as educators to turn pre-writing into writing and pre-reading into reading. As children are learning about phonemes, they are also learning about graphemes. As they learn how to read, they are learning how to write. It is my understanding that a good writing education goes along with a reading education. I also have a very strong belief that this all needs to be fun. When children are little they love to take out that big marker or crayon and scribble away. There is no reason this momentum has to stop when they are school age. Kindergarteners and up should find the process just as joyous as the 18 month old with the crayon.

            However, my philosophy is not only that the students have fun. In order for students to become proficient readers and writers, they must read write often. If students from kindergarten up read and write for at least 30 minutes a day, they will learn. Daily writers workshop combined with 10-minute mini lessons is an important routine for every classroom, no matter the grade level. Plus, combining writing with reading lessons. During reading lessons it is important for the teacher to draw attention to writing style and conventions.

            Combining fun with consistency is my philosophy for a good literacy program. Creating an environment in which students feel that they are reading and writing about what interests them. Working with students to create stories that they are proud of. Teaching students what good work looks and sounds like. Giving students the chance to share their work. And doing this every day. In my opinion this is what makes for a comprehensive literacy program.

No comments:

Post a Comment